Before you head out for your next Crane Lake snowmobile ride, find out what the snowmobile trail conditions are like in the area, and how much snowfall is being received.
Many of the snowmobile trails are groomed by local snowmobile clubs who provide up to date reporting on the snow conditions.
The Voyageurs Trail Society website has information for Crane Lake snowmobilers such as trail conditions, and trail maps.
Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota also has a public report for Winter Ice and Trail Conditions, and general winter safety tips.
See the current snow level for yourself by viewing Crane Lake Webcams!
- Newest Updates and Safety Information Riding conditions have been great over the past week, and the trails are all open and being used frequently. Maintenance crews are grooming as often as possible to keep up with the heavy use. Slush conditions are remain healed up for now (lots of slush is still present, but much is currently buried under a 5-inch layer of ice), making trail riding conditions great both on and off the trails. Crews will continue to monitor…View Full Report
- Newest Updates and Safety Information The first lag of the green snowmobile trail from Franks Bay on Rainy Lake to Ash River Trail is still groomed, staked, and ready for visitors to enjoy, and the Peterson Bay trail is now open and staked as well. Not enough ice has formed to open other trails at this time. Pressure ridges are still present, but have not been moving. In addition, the Black Bay Beaver Pond snowshoe trail is now open. With…View Full Report
- Newest Updates and Safety Information We are pleased to announce that the Sullivan Bay, Blind Ash Bay, Oberholtzer, and Rainy Lake Recreation snowshoe trails are now open. The Echo Bay Trail, Rainy Lake Recreation Ski Trail, and Tilson Connector Trail are all packed and tracked and ready for winter recreation. The ice is strengthening every day, but it is not thick enough to safely stake trails yet. Some pressure ridges have developed on Kabetogama, but they are not moving at…View Full Report
- Riders are very impressed with the trails here. We have a great base of snow (18 inches)and groomers have hit everything by now. The Arrowhead trail is being called "excellent" and our Clubs are out keeping everything smooth. The green staked lake trail is fine and 99% smooth as long as you run 15 feet off of the stakes or more, after that you may start to hit those frozen slush ridges, so if you find yourself riding home on…View Full Report
- Trails are still in great shape here! We did not get any new snow with the storm, but we have plenty of base and groomers are still out keeping everything in tip top shape. We have perfect temperatures in the forecast this week - highs in the 20-30s and lows in the single digits with lots of sunshine. Area businesses are open regular hours this week! Riders that are here are making very positive comments about our trails. Come on…View Full Report
- Crane Lake Bar & Grill February 14 at 11:57am · Trail Report 2/14/18 It’s weird, it doesn’t seem as though we’ve had anymore then trace amounts of snow but honestly (of course) the North trail from Crane to the link was notably in better condition than last week with nearly no dips and I found no icy corners and it had many tracks on it, so I don’t think it had been groomed recently. The Link was really…View Full Report
- Riders are reporting that ALL Crane Lake area trails are in excellent condition! We have had very cold weather so the grooming schedule has been very effective in keeping trails in near perfect shape. Our groomers are running 6 days a week in February. This week's forecast calls for a bit of a warm up with high temps between ten and thirty, very nice! Come on up!View Full Report
- If you are thinking about a snowmobile vacation in the Crane Lake Area you may want to visit the Voyageur Trail Society website. There are good articles, which give details on trail rules and development history. Key Takeaways: In 1994-95 a marked, groomed trail system on the frozen lakes of Voyageurs National Park was established The trail system was established to improve safety while traveling on large lakes Training procedures to determine ice thickness and density using nationally recognized standards are…View Full Report
- Trails in the Crane Lake area are still in very good shape. Lots of riders around on Friday and Saturday! We had a warm Friday, but reports were still that the trails held up nicely. Saturday it snowed all day adding up to 2-3 new inches on top of a solid base. We still have about 20 inches of snow in the woods (plenty). Check out area web cams! Groomers are out on schedule keeping trails smooth and snow covered.View Full Report
- TIPS FROM CAROL at the CRANE LAKE BAR and GRILL~ Stay right on the curves and hills ALWAYS. Slower riders stay right often so faster riders can pass you without scaring you. Accelerate before the hills and continue an even speed while climbing hills, hitting the throttle on the hills tears the trails up badly and come out of your curves with an even acceleration to avoid making ruts. If you are riding with inexperienced or slower riders assure them…View Full Report
- We have really good snow, the snowfall on Monday dropped 2 to 4 inches of fresh snow on the areas trails that were already in very good condition. And this morning we woke to another new inch of snow. Trails in all directions are groomed and very nice. Tomorrow the forecast is pretty warm, so we hope they hold up . We will never say the river is completely safe, (liability issues) rivers can change so rapidly for the worse…View Full Report
- Yesterday's storm brought the Crane Lake area about 8 inches of beautiful fresh snow. Our conditions right now are MINT. All of the trails on the lake are staked by Voyageurs National Park (green, blue, yellow) and all of our wooded trails are groomed! The groomer hit the south trail yesterday and the north trail last night. Come on up for some excellent riding!View Full Report
- VNP has completed staking the green trail, which means that the snowmobile trail from Crane Lake to Ash River to Kabetogama (through the beautiful lakes of Voyageurs National Park) is OPEN. And we got another fresh inch of snow yesterday! VNP is working on the yellow trail to Kettle Falls and is completing the purple trail on Rainy Lake tomorrow.View Full Report
- Happy New Year - Snowmobiling season has begun! We have good ice conditions with the stretch of very cold weather we have endured the past two weeks. Stakes are in from Voyagaire to Handbergs Marina. Wooded trails are cleared and safe. Voyageurs National Park is placing signs in our area today and will be completing the green stakes this week. Currently green stakes are in from Rainy Lake to Kabetogama to Ash River. We will keep you posted when the…View Full Report
- Despite the cold temperatures we have this weekend, we cannot invite you to Crane Lake for snowmobiling. High winds and warm temps from late February have together made lake travel and land travel both unsafe. Last weekend, the Crane Lake Challenge was a great success. And this weekend, there will be the Antique Snowmobile Races in Orr at Melgeorge's Elephant Lake Lodge. But overall, snowmobiling season is done for this winter, we are sorry to report! Voyagaire Lodge is now…View Full Report
- It was a fantastic weekend here in Crane Lake! Beautiful temps and hundreds of snowmobilers out enjoying the trails. From Friday until today the trails held up pretty well, but now we are getting light rain and it is quite warm. A few riders are still around, but when the temps drop this week it is going to turn very hard, not good on snowmachines. Check back to see if we get some snow, perhaps on Wednesday, but for now conditions are…View Full Report
- This was a busy place over the weekend! Word has spread and everyone came out to enjoy our picture perfect trails. If you can come up to Crane Lake, today is the day! Make a quick trip here before President's Day weekend. The forecast next week includes warm temps and sunshine, so enjoy the trails now through Thursday if you can! And check back next week for another update.View Full Report
- The trails here are absolutely perfect. "Mint!" Riders are having a blast and the groomer is running 4-5 nights a week. We have a solid base of snow with about 8 fresh new inches over the past couple of days. The only trail that got complaints last weekend was Rainy Lake, but today's fresh blast of snow will help that. Lake trails from Namakan south are great again. Land trails throughout the entire area are excellent! Come on out and play!View Full Report
- Snow is falling today in Crane Lake and we hope it continues. Over the weekend, riders reported good riding on land trails, but lake trails were very rough. If you are riding the lakes, get off the stakes! There you will find enough snow to make riding more smooth and enjoyable. The land trails are being groomed in every direction with a decent snow base (4-6") and no bare spots. As always, be careful and take it easy and check back…View Full Report
- Snowmobile trails are surviving the warmer temps here pretty well. The rain missed us for the most part, so we still have a solid base. The snow is wet and sloppy, but once temps cool down again, and we get a couple inches of fresh snow, trails will be great again. Check area web cams or call your host resort for the latest word on Crane Lake snow conditions.View Full Report
- All of our area trails are now groomed (trails maintained by the Crane Lake snowmobile club). We have over two feet of snow as a base. From Crane Lake, riders can enjoy freshly groomed trails in every direction. South to Echo Lake, Buyck and Orr and north to Elephant Lake, Ash River and Kabetogama. Prefer lake riding? Lakes are staked north of here all the way to Rainy Lake.View Full Report
- Snow conditions are excellent here to start off the new year and new snowmobiling season. On the lakes in Voyageurs National Park, all of the green stakes and blue stakes are in, which means that trails from Crane Lake through Sand Point, Namakan, Ash River, Kabetogama, and Rainy Lake are all open. In the woods we have a base of about two feet of snow. Groomers are out, but not all trails are 100% groomed yet. Area restaurants that are open include…View Full Report
- Our weather has turned and this year's snowmobiling season has come to an end! We have sunshine and fifty degrees today with an even warmer day forecasted for tomorrow. The ice is still safe for fishermen, but portages and land trails have quickly turned to dirt. The Crane Lake Bar and Grill, Voyagaire Lodge and Trail's End are open through Saturday, but will close their restaurants after that. Trail's End will be open Sunday March 13th, then again March 31-May 13…View Full Report
- The Crane Lake Challenge was a HUGE success! Thanks to all of you who attended and also the many volunteers within the Crane Lake community. Hundreds of people were here to enjoy the beautiful day and the number of entries for the snowmobile race was an amazing 163. Top speed of the day? 174.08 in one thousand feet.. WOW. You can find more race results at the blog on Voyagaire Lodge's website.View Full Report
- Trails remain in good shape, despite warmer temperatures over the weekend. We have our snow base intact and about 3-4 inches of fresh snow since Sunday. Tonight groomers are heading south and tomorrow they will hit the north trail and do the link to Elephant Lake. Then Thursday is north again, Friday south and Saturday night trails are groomed north.View Full Report
- Since our last post, we have gotten a few more inches of snow and definitely more ice has built up. Our snow base in the woods is about 16 inches or so. Trails are great, grooming is in full swing. The state has kept up on grooming their trails and our local clubs are running at least four nights per week. More snow is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday and temps are looking up! Watch for pressure ridges…View Full Report
- Five inches of fresh new snow fell overnight here! It is beautiful. Our base is up to about 15-20 inches. Groomers are out on their regular schedules (four nights per week) and riders have great reports. Bring an extra layer or two (temps are chilly!) and join us for an awesome experience in Crane Lake. Voyagaire Lodge has live music over the weekend with Mike and Devin from Duluth playing Saturday and Sunday nights Feb 13 and 14. The Crane…View Full Report
- We made it through the warm weekend without losing our snow base. Riders are still enjoying our trails and groomers are still out in full force. The forecast looks promising with temps between zero and twenty for the next week and snow in the forecast for Thursday and Friday. Some fresh snow would help trails in the woods, but we have plenty of snow for fantastic lake riding.View Full Report
- We enjoyed a busy weekend with mild temps, perfect for outdoor winter activity. Saturday night brought 3 inches of fresh snow and more is in the forecast for Wednesday. Our groomers are out and lake riding is reported as "excellent". Rainy Lake is a bit bumpy, but Kabetogama, Sand Point and Namakan are perfect. Portages are groomed and good and land trails are groomed and good. Stop at Voyagaire Lodge while you are here, its restaurant and bar are open…View Full Report
- Snowmobile season is off to a late start this year, but finally Crane Lake is open now and ready to welcome you! The best riding is on the lakes in Voyageurs National Park. Ice is safe and all of the trails connecting Crane Lake to Sand Point, Namakan, Kabetogama, and Rainy Lake (including Kettle Falls) are staked and open. Trails in the woods are a bit rough, but they are cleared and packed and have about 10 inches of snow as a…View Full Report
- This is the week??Crane Lake Challenge!!!! Come to Crane Lake an take in the races this Saturday registration starts at 8 am and racing runs to 3. Groomers are still running four times a week and condition remains very good. We hope to get at least two to three more weekends out of this season!! Be aware there was a re-route on Namakan Lake in the Hoist Bay/Moose grade area. There was a wolf that the park was trying to…View Full Report
- Another 6? of snow this week has really done a bunch to assist the groomer operators in filling as many bumps in the trail as possible. Traffic has been steady and riders are reporting great condition. This writer put on 100 miles yesterday and found minimal bumps, and the bumps that we found are in areas that are historically tough to groom even in high snow years. Midweek riders are enjoying less traffic and nice condition. Don?t forget the Crane…View Full Report
- Trails continue to hold with the colder weather. Our groomers are out on the trails 4 days a week so things up in the North are tidy and ready to ride. Riders are reporting some minor bumps in the trails, but in general excellent conditions exist in the Northland? Remember the Crane Lake Challenge is on March 7th this year!!! The race is certified by Guinness Book of Records this year in hopes of breaking the land speed record for…View Full Report
- HOOORAY last night and today we have received 4-5 inches of the golden white stuff!!! As we write this it is still snowing but it has slowed significantly, but we will take anything we can get. Snow is also in the forecast for Wednesday, so keep your fingers crossed! Groomers will be out this week filling in holes and working their magic. Condition continues to improve and riders are reporting better than expected trail condition, so come on up!!View Full Report
- Conditions in our area are holding!! The cooler temps have made the snow we have set nicely and riders are reporting decent trails. There is currently snow in the forecast the next week so we are hoping those that predict get it right! All area club trails a have been groomed and will be groomed as long as the snow keeps on coming. Lakes are staked safe and in Crane lake are groomed as well. Portages have been groomed as…View Full Report