If you are thinking about a snowmobile vacation in the Crane Lake Area you may want to visit the Voyageur Trail Society website. There are good articles, which give details on trail rules and development history.
- In 1994-95 a marked, groomed trail system on the frozen lakes of Voyageurs National Park was established
- The trail system was established to improve safety while traveling on large lakes
- Training procedures to determine ice thickness and density using nationally recognized standards are used.
- The speed limit in the park is 45 mph and 25 mph on safety portages and land-based trails.
- Lake trails are marked at .2 mile intervals for navigation
- No special permits are required to ride the trail system
- A state registration permit/sticker is required
- No harassment of wildlife
- If a trail is marked it is considered safe
Read the entire article here: http://www.snowmobilevacation.com/about-vtsi.html